Saturday, April 18, 2009

New Monster from Old Socks...

This one is made from some socks that I knit last year. The yarn was hand-spun and hand dyed, purchased at a yarn fair, and it is so soft and the colours so lovely. I knit them into the MOST soft and lovely socks and LOVED wearing them, every time a delight, until after about 10 wears, the heel blew through (gasp of horror).... The problem with softly spun pure wool, is it is NOT tough. Certainly not tough enough for the kind of hiking and walking and standing that I expected it to live up to.
So these holey socks sat in my sock drawer (could NOT throw them out!) and existed just to be caressed occasionally in passing, until the monster bug hit me...
Here is the hole....
Here is the patch up....
Here is the body assembly...
and here is the end result, a Monster that is amazing to touch and cuddle and has all the hand dyed yumminess that the socks had, only with more character. He is now out of the drawer (is that like out of the closet?) and on my monster shelf, to be enjoyed.

I had some sock left over, so added some antenna like attachments, to make him a bit more monster and a bit less kitty cat....
Off to buy more stuffing, as I have run out and have many more socks.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment